How can I apply for Clemency (including civil rights)?

All persons seeking clemency, including the restoration of civil rights, must complete an application and submit it to the Office of Executive Clemency. Application forms are furnished on the Clemency page of this website and by the Coordinator upon request. All applications for Clemency must be filed with the Coordinator on the form provided and include the required court documents.

Do I need an attorney to handle my application?

No, you do not need an attorney to represent you in the clemency process.

Is there a filing fee for the application process?

No, there is no fee involved. This is a service provided free of charge by the State of Florida.

If my case is scheduled for a clemency hearing, do I have to attend the hearing?

You are not required to appear before the Clemency Board at the clemency hearing. However, any testimony you provide may aid the Governor and Cabinet in understanding your case and will be considered by the Clemency Board in its final decision.

How does the clemency process work?

When an application for any form of clemency is received in the Office of Executive Clemency, it is screened for eligibility regarding the required time frames for the various offenses and the accompanying required certified court documents are reviewed. 

If applicant is found eligible, the application is forwarded to the investigative phase of the process in the Office of Clemency Investigations.  Cases are then assigned to examiners in the field offices on a first-in, first-out basis. 

If the Office of Executive Clemency determines that an application does not meet the requirements, the applicant is advised of the disqualifying issues and guidance provided as to the next step. After the investigation and report is prepared, the eligible applications are forwarded to the Clemency Board for a decision. 

If granted, the applicant is mailed a certificate of Restoration of Civil Rights.

If adjudication of guilt was withheld in my case, do I need restoration of civil rights?

No, if adjudication of guilt was withheld in your case, you have not lost your civil rights. However, per the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) Firearms Purchase Program, you are usually prohibited from purchasing firearms for at least three years from the date your supervision terminated. You may contact FDLE at (850) 410-8139 for more information.

If I receive clemency, such as a pardon, will my record be automatically expunged?

No. There is no form of clemency that will expunge, remove or clear an offense from a criminal record. For questions pertaining to expunging or sealing of records, contact the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) at .

If I have my civil rights restored, will my criminal history record be expunged/removed?

No. In order to have your civil rights restored you had to have been convicted (adjudicated guilty) of a felony that was the basis for your loss of civil rights. Persons who have been convicted (adjudicated guilty) of a felony are not eligible for a seal or expunge of their criminal history under Florida law, regardless of whether their civil rights have been restored.

Reggie is an AV Preeminent®-rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell, achieving the rating agency’s highest marks for both competency and ethics.
An elite group of approximately 10 percent of all attorneys holds an AV Preeminent Rating, a designation trusted worldwide by buyers and referrers of legal services.

Mailing address:
Post Office Box 11069
Tallahassee, Florida 32302

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. 
Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience

envelope-ophone linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram